Deck Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 1
This three-month course prepares students to sit the written and oral examinations required to obtain a Deck Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 1 Certificate of Competency from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).
A Class 1 CoC is required by the skippers of UK registered fishing boats more than 30 metres in length, or a fishing boat of any size operating in the unlimited area, and qualifies the holder to command a fishing boat of any size inside or outside the Limited Area around the UK. Candidates must:
- Be more than 21 years old
- Have an MCA Notice of Eligibility
- Have a sight test certificate
- Have a minimum period of sea-time on a fishing vessel while holding a Deck Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 2 certificate of competency. The sea-time requirements are specified by the MCA and depend on the size of the fishing vessels on which the sea-time was acquired, and the area in which it operated:
- 12 months in fishing vessels over 12m in unlimited waters, OR
- 12 months in fishing vessels over 12m in limited waters PLUS 6 months in fishing vessels over 12m in unlimited waters, OR
- 2 years in fishing vessels in limited waters (at the discretion of the MCA Chief Examiner).
( Subject to approval )